Success in Maths at UniSQ
Success in Maths for Aviation
To support you in your Aviation studies, UniSQ Support for Learning provides a range of activities to assist with mathematics skills.
Quick Videos and print resources to refresh your Maths skills
Arithmetic & Mental Maths
Order of operations (print handout)
This 6 minute video covers the importance of the order of operations with examples.
There is also a QuickTip for Order of Operations with aviation examples.
Operations involving negative numbers (print handout)
This 10 minute video covers how to calculate with negative numbers.
Decimals (including percentages and rates) (print handout)
This 11 minute video covers
- the link between fractions and decimals
- converting between fractions and decimals
- percentages, including percentage increase and decrease
There is also a QuickTip for percentages.
Other QuickTips and other print resources for Arithmetic and Mental Maths:
Graphs and graphing
Relationships as graphs (print handout)
This 8 minute video covers the Cartesian co-ordinate system and drawing graphs.
Gradient (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers how to
- find the gradient (or slope) of a straight (linear) line
- drawing a line using a point and the gradient.
Introduction to Algebra: relationships as words (print handout)
This12 minute video covers:
- translating from words to symbols (relationships)
- variables and expressions
- collecting like terms.
Substituting and rearranging equations (print handout)
This 12 minute video covers
- substituting values into equations
- rearranging equations.
There is also a QuickTip to help you rearrange equations.
Pythagoras' Theorem (print handout)
This 4 minute video covers using Pythagoras' Theorem.
Introduction to trigonometry (printable handout)
This 20 minute video introduces:
- labeling triangles for trigonometry
- Pythagoras' Theorem
- trigonometric ratios
- worked examples using trigonometric ratios