Print based materials
Print Materials to assist with any pre-requisite mathematics required in USQ courses. These materials are based on USQ's Tertiary Preparation Program. Mathematics modules are presented in increasing level of difficulty and complexity from Level A through to Level D.
More than just numbers (Level A)
- Our number system (including whole numbers, place value & estimation)
- Working with numbers (including power notation and the square root)
- Calculations involving negative numbers
- Order of calculations
- Fractions (including equivalent fractions, mixed numbers and improper fractions, calculating with fractions, addition and subtraction of fractions, multiplication of fractions and division of fractions)
- Decimals (including converting between decimals and fractions)
The Power of Numbers (Level A)
- Power notation
- Calculating with powers including multiplying powers, dividing powers, negative indices, the zero index, adding and subtracting powers, special powers, fractional indices, finding a power of a power and finding a power of a product)
- Common applications of powers (including scientific notation, the metric system, converting between units)
Video based materials
You can also watch some video snippets for some of arithmetic concepts
Calculating with negative numbers (print handout)
This 6 minute video covers how to calculate with negative numbers.
You can also get help Mastering your calculator – free, easy to follow online booklets on a range of scientific calculators.