Success in Maths at USQ
Success in Maths for Science
Students studying science require a sound knowledge of mathematics.
To assist you if you have had bad experiences at school, not enough exposure to mathematics or the exposure was a number of years ago we have developed a series of videos.
These videos are based on the materials that is assumed in MAT1100.
To view files click on the topic you wish to refresh. A copy of presentation is available for you to download (Print Handout).
Calculating with negative numbers (print handout)
This 6 minute video covers how to calculate with negative numbers.
Order of operations (print handout)
This 6 minute video covers the importance of the order of operations with examples
Fractions (print handout)
This 16 minute video covers:
- Equivalent fractions
- Mixed number and improper fractions
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of fractions.
Fractions in other forms - Decimals (print handout)
This 11 minute video covers:
- the link between fractions and decimals
- converting between fractions and decimals
Algebraic relationships (print handout)
This 9 minute video introduces:
- translating from words to symbols (relationships)
- variables and expressions
- collecting like terms.
Rearranging equations (print handout)
This 12 minute video covers:
- substituting values into equations
- rearranging equations
- including a range of examples.
Inequalities (print Handout)
This 10 minute video covers graphing inequalities and rearranging inequalities.
Index laws (print handout)
This 12 minute video introduces:
- Power (or index) notation
- Power (or index) rules
- using power (or index) rules to simply expressions.
Graphing and Geometry
Geometry (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers common shapes and their characteristics.
Pythagoras' Theorem (print handout)
This 4 minute video covers using Pythagoras’ Theorem.
Relationships as graphs (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers the Cartesian co-ordinate system and drawing graphs.
Gradient (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers how to:
- find the gradient (or slope) of a straight (linear) line
- drawing a line using a point and the gradient.
The linear equation (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers:
- the linear equation
- finding the gradient and -intercept
- the slope-point equation
- equations to special lines (e.g. horizontal and vertical lines).
Exponential graphs (print handout)
This 3 minute video introduces the exponential equation for growth and decay along with the corresponding graphs.
You can also get help Mastering your calculator – free, easy to follow online booklets on a range of scientific calculators.