Success in Maths at UniSQ
Success in Maths for Science
Students studying science require a sound knowledge of mathematics.
To assist you if you have had bad experiences at school, not enough exposure to mathematics or the exposure was a number of years ago we have developed a series of videos.
These videos are based on the materials that is assumed in MAT1100.
To view files click on the topic you wish to refresh. A copy of presentation is available for you to download (Print Handout).
Calculating with negative numbers (print handout)
This 10 minute video covers how to calculate with negative numbers.
Order of operations (print handout)
This 6 minute video covers the importance of the order of operations with examples
Fractions (print handout)
This 16 minute video covers:
- Equivalent fractions
- Mixed number and improper fractions
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of fractions.
Fractions in other forms - Decimals (print handout)
This 11 minute video covers:
- the link between fractions and decimals
- converting between fractions and decimals
Algebraic relationships (print handout)
This 9 minute video introduces:
- translating from words to symbols (relationships)
- variables and expressions
- collecting like terms.
Rearranging equations (print handout)
This 12 minute video covers:
- substituting values into equations
- rearranging equations
- including a range of examples.
Inequalities (print Handout)
This 12 minute video covers graphing inequalities and rearranging inequalities.
Index laws (print handout)
This 17 minute video introduces:
- Power (or index) notation
- Power (or index) rules
- using power (or index) rules to simply expressions.
Graphing and Geometry
Geometry (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers common shapes and their characteristics.
Pythagoras' Theorem (print handout)
This 4 minute video covers using Pythagoras’ Theorem.
Relationships as graphs (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers the Cartesian co-ordinate system and drawing graphs.
Gradient (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers how to:
- find the gradient (or slope) of a straight (linear) line
- drawing a line using a point and the gradient.
The linear equation (print handout)
This 7 minute video covers:
- the linear equation
- finding the gradient and -intercept
- the slope-point equation
- equations to special lines (e.g. horizontal and vertical lines).
Exponential graphs (print handout)
This 3 minute video introduces the exponential equation for growth and decay along with the corresponding graphs.
You can also get help Mastering your calculator – free, easy to follow online booklets on a range of scientific calculators.